The User Profile Service Failed the Logon Prevents User Logging In
I encountered a problem with a workstation failing to log on its normal user. This error was spontaneous and I could not isolate the cause. I found this to be a problem that microsoft recognizes and they have a fix for it. Here is what I did to fix this problem.
Boot into Safe Mode¶
- Reboot Windows and keep pressing F8 during the boot up sequence.
- Once the boot selection menu appears, select Safe Mode.
Backup the Registry¶
- Press [Win] + R to open a run prompt.
regeditand click Ok.
- Click on and select a path to save the registry backup, then click Ok
Fix Corrupt User Profile¶
- While still in regedit, navigate to
- Next the corrupt account folder that begins with S-1-5 using the
- Once the account folder has been located, there should be a second account folder with the same name, but with .bak at the end. Replace original account folder with the .bak.
- Right-click on the original folder account and select Rename, adding .ba to the end of the name.
- Right-click on the .bak folder account and select Rename, removing the .bak from the end of the name.
- Right-click on the .ba folder account and select Rename, replacing .ba to .bak
- Reboot the workstation back into the normal environment.