Add Custom Data Fields for Orders and Invoices in QuickBooks
While setting up a custom template for a sales order in QuickBooks 2012, I found the default data fields were limited in selection and that I needed my own data fields for specific order templates. QuickBooks offers this ability, however it is not as intuitive as one might expect. This is a guide on how I managed to extra data fields to QuickBooks.
Create the Data Field¶
- Once QuickBooks is open, click on the Customer Center.
- Next select and edit a customer, any customer will work.
- Then click on the Additional Info tab and click on Define Fields.
- Label the new data field and select which group will be able to use the extra data field.
- Cust will be available to members in the group.
- Vend will be available to members in the group.
- Empl will be available to members in the group.
- Click OK when finished adding the new data field.
- Close the and .
Use the Data Field¶
- Open a Sales Order or Invoice.
- From the top menu in the order window, select .
- Select the to add the new data field to.
- Click on Additional Customization...
- In the Header tab, locate the new data field name and check the and boxes to add them to the invoice.
- Click the Layout Designer... to adjust the layout and position of the new data field on documents printed using the template.
- Click OK to apply changes in the , then click OK to finish .